Tuesday, January 20, 2009

On Hope, A New Day, and A Dream Realized

We can never know what the future will bring. If one year ago you would have told me that I'd be fighting an aggressive cancer today, it would have come as a shock. If you would have then told me that today I'd proudly wrap myself in the American flag and post a photo on the Internet, I would have breathed a sigh of relief and said "at least now I know you're kidding."

Today is a great day for me, for America, and for the world. It is a new day, a day of hope, and we stand at the precipice of a great change.

I believe that while we have lost track of it, what makes America great is how much we all have in common. Today let us set aside our differences and celebrate our shared hopes and values. We can all hope for a more peaceful future, for less war, for cures for disease, for less poverty, for equal education, for health care for all, for a cleaner environment, and for happiness.

Watching a black man named Barack Hussein Obama being sworn in as President brought tears to my eyes for so many reasons today. It is a dream realized for the thousands who fought for civil rights in this nation.

It was a symbolic and overwhelming image of the ability to overcome odds and of the power of hope.

More to come... I'm moving a bit slow today...

-Sam

1 comment:

Stuart said...

DUDE! You look great! Just think of how studly you'll be in the saddle after you complete this marathon chemo training!

What's more, think of how aerodynamic we are in our current state!

I am pretty sure that's a LeMond! How ironic... I have an Alpe D'Huez that I've had for about 10 years. Great bikes! What model is that one?

Hang in there...