Thursday, August 13, 2009

"Your blog sucks, I'm tired of reading about that damn race"

Those were the words that my colleague and buddy Ryan greeted me with today. I take them both as a compliment and as a sign it's probably time for an update...

Monday began round five of six rough rounds and we started out with a spinal tap, and two chemo drugs. They maxed me out with a dosage of sedation, but I could still remember being in quite a lot of pain during the procedure -- I found out why the next morning when I looked in the mirror and saw multiple holes in my back. Katie counted six different holes in my spine.

I really can't complain, however, this was spinal tap number 11 and my Doctor had a perfect record for the first ten. I suppose everyone has an off day every now and again.

Tuesday was day two and a dose of Peg Asparaginase -- a drug that knocks me out pretty good for a day or two.

Thus, Wednesday I was pretty useless and spent a great deal of time on the couch watching daytime television. At one point I actually watched about 3 or 4 minutes of "Jon and Kate Plus 8" before snapping out of it and realizing what I was doing. I swiftly retreated to my office in a self-loathing mood to think about what I had done.

On the brighter side, I caught the Presidential Medal of Freedom Award Ceremony on CSPAN -- Yes, I am that big of a nerd to watch CSPAN. If you ever want to feel inspiration and as though you've accomplished next to nothing in life, I highly recommend watching one of these ceremonies. It really was amazing to see so many people who have so profoundly changed our world in one place.

On an especially interesting note, the woman who discovered that leukemia is caused by a chromosomal abnormality -- the biggest breakthrough in cancer research to date -- received an award. I had never so much as heard of her before watching this ceremony. See, you really do learn something new every day -- even when your indolent and barely conscious on the couch.

All right, this is a pretty boring update, but the muse just hasn't been singing -- I've had a very good couple of weeks but very little inspiration when it comes to writing. I'll come up with something a bit more entertaining and update soon.

I hope you're all well and enjoying the last weeks of summer (at least up here in the North)...

Comment Question of the Day:

What's one TV Show, Movie, or Music Album that you're embarrassed to admit you've watched or owned?

Take care,

Sam

6 comments:

Aubrey said...

I always find your blog posts entertaining! You are a great writer!

My movie indulgence is *gulp* Twilight. I even have it on my laptop. {embarrassing much}

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are in good spirits. Hmm... I hate to admit this... But I went on a Days of Our Lives kick when I was in junior high. Keep your stick on the ice. As always, you are in my thoughts.
Scott

Stuart said...

I have to admit I am an American Idol and Celebrity Apprentice junkie. Especially during chemo, they were an easy, mindless distraction!

Botched spinal taps really do stink... I am sorry you had to endure that! How many more???

I was watching the same medal ceremony, from my oncologist's waiting room, in fact. Like you, I was happy to see the award to the kind lady who made those chromosomal discoveries. See, I don't even remember her name! Oh geez!

My counts are still low in some areas, but at least headed upward and not so low as to need a transfusion.

You are making some major progress! CONGRATS for being YOU!

salmo said...

Okay okay I'll fess up...

Dare I say my embarrassing TV indulgence:

Green Acres.... and it still make me laugh (oh... and I'm so done with MJ)

BeckyM said...

LOL... I love this question and there are so many for me unfortunately. I am a reality tv junkie, so many would say all my tv is a shame. The worst had to be Flavor of Love with Flava Flav yeeaaah boyzzzzz.. LOL

Dennis said...

OK, Years (20) I was with UW Extension in Chippewas Falls, WI. I put up with the jokes about Annie Halls family, but it was a good gig. As part of my gig I got a radio "show" on the local Christian Country radio station Wednesday mornings at 6:30, right after the morning inspirational reading. The DJ wanted to have a transition piece between me and the inspiration. He decided to use the theme song from Green Acres as my bridge. So, after the Amen on came Green Acres with a booming voice "and, from the Chippewa County Extention office, here is Dennis!" The Extension administrators were freaked out. They did not like idea of linking me to the greatest county agent ever, Hank Kimball. So, a second vote for Green Acres!

Dennis