Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Heat Wave in Madison and My Pants are Tight!


How's that for a post title. No, it has nothing to do with my fresh red blood cells migrating to a certain part of my anatomy, you dirty minded individuals...

Rather, my pants are actually tight. Whereas just a month ago my skinniest pants were barely hanging on, I went to put on a pair of jeans yesterday and was pleasantly surprised when I was unable to button them. Yup, that's right I'm putting on some weight and excited about it.

I'm perpetually amazed by how different "healthy eating" is for me than for 99 percent of Americans.

On another front, Madison broke the freezing mark for the first time in 28 days yesterday. After spending some time on my bike, Katie and I went for an excellent walk around the neighborhood. It hit 38 degrees -- a regular heat wave! The moisture in the air, light, and warmth of sun felt excellent. I can't wait for Spring.

Comment Question of the Day:

What's your favorite Superbowl party appetizer or food?

If I weren't trying to avoid large amounts of red meat, I'd definitely be making the "Bacon Explosion" this Sunday (pictured). Check it out, it's unreal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/dining/281brex.html?_r=1&ref=dining

Take 'er easy,

Sam

"Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
Sunshine almost always makes me high"

11 comments:

PapaDeMetrios said...

I much prefer this
bacon explosion
You eat that and your pants will be fitting just fine

Blog Strong said...

You beat me to it, I was just adding the bacon explosion when you posted. Great minds think alike, I guess...

-Sam

Mad Geo and the Tagliatelles said...

What game? Oops, there's a game on and instead I'm checking up on Sam's Blog.... We had red and yellow bell pepper fajitas tonight. Even though I don't eat it, I must admit bacon is a tasty treat, if not the best for health.

Hang in there, the cold will return soon enough.

Anonymous said...

Sam,
Just wanted to let you know I read your blog and send you all of my love and strength...
Your strength and insight and humor are remarkable.
I am in awe of you.
Thank you for sharing.
In friendship,
Debra Durchslag

Schmidty said...

Sam,

If the rapidity of your blog posts is any indication, you must be doing very well. Glad you were able to enjoy the beautiful weather today. It was gorgeous out here today, as well.

Crazy game tonight, right? In the spirit of your post, my friend made us two dishes with bacon: a bacon-wrapped chicken kabob with brown sugar and chili power and a potato bake with bacon bits. Felt like I was in Wisconsin!

Have a great week... And give my best to Katie and your wonderful fam.

Candace Smartt said...

Hey Sam.
Glad you are feeling better and gaining weight.
Stu's had a rough time this week.
We thought he was doing better after platelets, but he had some setbacks today. Started running a fever - never got past 100, but concerning...and doesn't have enough energy to get off the couch. Oh yeah - when he stand sup he feels like he will "let go" (that is his saying for vomit)
I'm sure this all sounds familiar to you...
Waiting for the doc to call us back for some direction.
Hope you got a good dose of Vit.D - you should come to Georgia...it was in the 60's and sunny today.

Dennis said...

As Peter Sellers said in Being There: "There will be growth in the spring." Try the double smoked bacon from Bavaria Sausage off Verona Road and let those red blood cells crank.

Keith said...

Sam,

Glad to hear you're gaining weight. I feel that way every time I put any of my pants on. Hey, wanted you to know that Pete & I went ice fishing on Monona Bay a couple weeks ago and while the panfish bite was really slow, I did haul a 31 inch northern out. We missed a couple other flags. We'll have to get you out fishing once you are feeling up to it. We miss you at the office Sam. I'll send you the pic in an e-mail. My pic here is obviously an open water Musky. I caught it on the Three Lakes chain near your home town. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Sam,

Pete here. Guess what? I had the bacon explosion on superbowl sunday! I went to a friend's house, and he had made one out of venison and tons of bacon. It was excellent.

Pete

Anonymous said...

Hmm... Favorite Super Bowl food. I think I would have to say popcorn with butter and nutritional yeast. If you haven't tried it, I strongly suggest it. Good stuff.
Take care, my man.
Scott

Stuart said...

Sam- I hope you are ok. Candace and I are thinking about you and talking about you several times daily. We hope you bounce back soon... hang in there, friend.