Thursday, February 12, 2009

"Just Cytoxin" and a Musical Challenge

Well, I'm home from the clinic and choc-o-bloc full of Cytoxin. Rumor has it it will stay in my system for 72 hours, so the next three days I'll be focused on drinking fluids to keep it running smoothly through my system -- lots and lots of fluids (10-12 glasses a day).

After joking yesterday about my Mum saying that I would "just be getting a spinal tap and vincristine" last week, my nurse today looked down at the chart then looked up and said "oh, you're just getting cytoxin today." I laughed, and she caught herself. "I guess that's easy to say when you're not the one getting it," she said.

My counts today were across the board. White blood counts came up, although I didn't have as many neutrophils as I would like, red blood count fell a tiny bit, and my platelet count shot up (over 300). I do rather like having those little guys on board.

I also feel a bit better today as the past 2 days I've been unable to straighten my right arm (this is the arm with my PICC Line -- an IV line that runs from a vein in my bicep to a vein near my heart), and today they informed me that it was likely not a blood clot or infection, but rather tendinitis or some similar injury incurred from lifting weights.

"Don't lift weights with your PICC Arm!" seemed to be the message of the day. Hey, they told me to get regular exercise...

Allright, Fun Stuff.

Comment Question of the Day: A Music Challenge:

I often listen to music at home to relax when I'm not feeling well and I almost always listen to music in the clinic before and during chemo treatment to pump myself up to kill some lymphoblasts.

I've found some good ones, but I'm in need of some new material, Which leads me to the comment question of the day:

What are the best songs for Sam in the following categories:

1. Best "blast some Lymphoblasts" chemo fight songs
2. Best soft or sweet, relaxing music
3. You're all time favorite song or songs (open)

As always, leave a comment (I'll check back), or zap me an e-mail at bikeryder@gmail.com.

Shout Outs:

SO to Stuart. Great news on your remission!
SO to Dick Bowley. Great news on your counts, keep it up!
SO to Shelly. Wishing you the best on today's bone marrow.
SO to everyone whose still checking my blog regularly, even though I've been slow to post -- I appreciate it more than you can know.

10 comments:

Dennis said...

OK, not what you are likely to be expecting, but some pure jazz to start off the musical challenge.

BLAST SOME LYMPHOBLASTS: You'll have to dig for this one. From the greatest jazz concert ever, the great Dizzy Gillespie, Max Roach, Charles Mingus, Bud Powell and Charlie Parket did a gig in Toronto. Mingus set up a half assed recorder to grab what he alone recognized as a historic event. The cut you want is "Salt Peanuts." Five greats playing with pure joy and gusto.

SOFT AND SWEET: Ellington's masterpiece "Mood Indigo." In response to a critic's gushing about it, Duke said, "I just tossed it out in 15 minutes." The critic called those the most well used 15 minutes in Western Civilization.

ALL TIME FAVORITE: Billie Holiday, "God Bless the Child." Even the version by The Simpson's is great. Yeardly Smith in character as Lisa and Dan Higgins as Bleeding Gums Murphy do it proud.

Keep those needles (and platelets) handy.

Anonymous said...

Shake You Down by Gregory Abbot

Mad Geo and the Tagliatelles said...

Jazz Dennis? I'm not sure if that will be sufficient for all but the weakest and spineless cancer cells. If the desire is to take all of the nasty cells out, you simply must get Rage Against The Machine! "Killing in the Name Of" and play the whole song, especially the un-censored version, all the way to the end. As long as the volume is sufficient you will take care of the bad cells.

Melissa Malott said...

Sam, my man.

I'm sorry I missed you in the office yesterday. It was SO good to see you up and at 'em, and to hear you laughing.

'Pumping-up to kill lymphoblast' music, I'd imagine, is probably similar to 'get your lazy butt off the couch and go run 7 miles' music. I'm pleased to report that music is The Killers, with particular potency in 'All These Things That I've Done,' and 'Human.'

You rock, Sam. Don't be a stranger.

Anonymous said...

Blast the lymphoblasts:Indestructible by Disturbed (if you like rock :/). One of my favorite songs by them.
Soft and Sweet: The entire album "Begin to Hope" by Regina Spektor. Definitely good stuff.
All-time favorite: The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails. Nine Inch Nails has been my favorite band since I was in junior high.
Let me know when you get done reading the poetry. I am always welcoming feedback.
Take care!
Scott

Annie Gore said...

BLAST SOME LYMPHOBLASTS: I always get pumped up hearing the beginning of Gwen Stefani "Sweet Escape" for starters...

SOFT AND SWEET: (my favorite musical selection area) Colbie Calliat including "Bubbly", "Realize" "Oxygen", James Taylor (any thing!), Jason Mraz favs include: "Sleeping To Dream" and "I'm Yours", John Mayer "Slow Dancing In a Burning Room" & "Say", Josh Kelley "Almost Honest", Nickel Creek "Out of the Woods", Joshua Radin "Sky", Ingrid Michaelson "The Way I Am"

ALL THE TIME FAVORITE: Some how "Here Comes the Sun" and "Penny Lane" can always make me smile. :)

Enjoy- Much love! :)

Katie Lee said...

Heya Sam!
Glad to hear Katie didn't sell your needles... although it may have been profitable if she hit the right corner in Madison. The black market chemo drug trade market I guess.

SONGS!
Blasting the 'blasts: Rocky theme song (and Rocky remix by Ronald Jenkees on Youtube), Wanted Dead or Alive, Flogging Molly of all sorts, Love Today (Mika)

Easier listening: California (Joni Mitchell), Jimmy Buffet, Librarian, Dondante, Evil Urges (all My Morning Jacket), Chieftans

Hard to pick an all time favorite... Elton John's great sometimes, I recently rediscovered Blinded By the Light (Manfred Mann's Earth Band), D'Yer Mak'er,

BONUS TRACKS for smiles: Shake Ya Ass or Baby Got Back by Richard Cheese (lounge singer that redoes pop songs, he's hilarious- here's a link. http://www.imeem.com/benbessman/playlist/1dALXlC6/richard_cheese_imeem_collection_music_playlist/), Goat skit by Adam Sandler, anything Jim Gaffigan, or Mitch Hedburg

I can't think of any more!!!! Can I see you sometime soon? Please!

Indiethedog said...

Hi Sam,
Glad to read that you're doing well. I totally missed commenting on your 'movies' request, sorry about that.
Right, music.
Lymphoblast blasting music; Anything by the Black Keys but if you need that extra kick, Little Wing by Stevie Ray Vaughan. He was playing this so loud in the recording studio you can hear the buzz of the monitor. It definitely goes up to eleven...

Soft and Sweet. Um, not my strong point. How about the Snoopy music from the Peanuts films? (Google unconvincingly informs me it's called Friday Night Nonsense) Better yet,... no, can't think of anything.

This week's all time favourite, and probably my alltime, all time favourite album. The Clash, London Calling. Specifically, Rock the Casbah to get you out of bed in the morning, or Should I Stay or Should I Go if you're feeling at all jaded.

Keep getting better, we're all thinking of you.

Cheers,
Andrew Sarah and Indie

Anonymous said...

hey there Sam~ i haven't seen you in too long to know if you'd even consider listening to country....but, seeing its my favorite, i'll give you some of my top picks!
-"Girls night out" by The Judds...hahahha its just so darn catchy and fun to dance to!
-"Spanish Angels" by Willie Nelson and Ray Charles...soulful and calming
-anything by Montana Rose
-"Diamond Ring" by George Jones and Tammy Wynet....sad but beautiful
-"I'm not Lisa" by Jessi Colter...a bit miserable, but once again, beautiful!
Good luck during the second half of your "month of hell"!!

Anonymous said...

For the chill out and relax I highly recommend Ray LaMontogue...enjoy!