Monday, October 5, 2009

5/6 Complete with Rough Chemo and the Noonmark Cafe


The finish line is near. For the first couple rounds of chemo, it seemed an abyss that one could never climb out of. Looking at a year of rough seas ahead when you're already seasick is a dim prospect indeed.

But, I did the only thing that I could -- pressed on -- and this week, providing my counts are high enough, we'll start round 6 of 6.

This last round promises to be another hellish affair, but I'm as ready as I'll ever be. The final sprint to the finish line is always the most painful part of a race, the night is always darkest just before dawn, and many other metaphorical cliches...

On the topic of endurance sports, I ran a marathon this weekend. Well, that's not exactly true... An employee (Erin) of an environmental advocacy group that we often work with ran a marathon with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's team in training program. One of my colleagues donated in my honor (thank you, Wheeler), and Erin tied the names of everyone who had donations in their memory or honor to her shoelaces. I hear that Erin finished the 26+ miles, and she deserves congratulations.

Those of you who know me well know that I've always spent my life in pursuit of adventure. My general philosophy on life has been to escape long enough to experience some terrific stories, come back just long enough to share them with some friends, then head out on a new adventure to build some new material.

This adventure has tended to take two forms that often overlap with one another -- exploring the outdoors and participating in endurance sports.

I suppose it is natural that I looked to fighting leukemia as an adventure as it has been the longest and most challenging endurance competition of my life -- I can only laugh as I look back and see that I chose to subtitle my blog "the leukemic adventures of Sam Weis" so long ago now.

The outdoors are an indescribably important part of my life. The influence of my grandfather -- who took me fishing beginning when I was three, -- the experience of growing up in the northwoods and working in a sporting goods store, combined with my sense of adventure and strong curiosity, all intersect to provide a nearly unparalleled appreciation for nature.

The closest thing to religion I have ever found is standing on the shores of a pristine trout stream lost in the wilderness, with the smooth cork of a fly rod in my hand. I will never understand creation, but I am left speechless and in awe of the world anytime I venture past the boundaries of land tainted by the destructive tendencies of man and head into the wilderness.

Jim Harrison says that there are two types of people in the world. Those who, if rich, would live in a palace, and those who would live in a cabin. Many of my best nights have been spent in a tent.

Which brings me to the Noonmark Cafe.

One of my favorite outdoor trips is backpacking in the Adirondack Mountains State Park in upstate New York. One of the unique features of the park is that communities settled within the parks boundaries before it became a state park, and are still allowed to exist and thrive in the park today.

As a result, the park is big enough that one can get lost in the wilderness for days, but small communities within the park provide a bit of comfort and history when you come out.

Now, I love backpacking. I love to leave the "conveniences" of chirping cell phones, laptops, cars, and the 24-hour news cycle behind, strap all my needed belongings to my back, and disappear for a few days. I find this to be a cleansing and restorative experience, and I try to do it at least once or twice a year.

And the best part about backpacking -- I also love it when it's over. Sleeping on a hard floor, fearing being eaten by bears, eating dehydrated food, shitting in the woods, and having to purify every drop of water you drink makes you realize just how many everyday luxuries we take for granted.

Inevitably after a few days in the woods of the ADK, as we begin to turn back and head out of the woods, my mind begins to wander to the Noonmark Cafe.

The Noonmark is tucked away in the heart of the high peaks region of the Adirondack park. What makes it so special is that there is nothing special about it -- it's just a small place that makes the calorie-heavy, tastey food that only tastes so good after you've spent 5 days deprived of hot, well-cooked meals.

It's the type of place where they don't care how bad you smell or how dirty you are, and where you could care less that you haven't bathed, showered, changed, or shaved in five days. It's the type of place where you can get a burger with fries smothered in gravy and wash it down with a blueberry muffin the size of your head. In short it's my kind of place.

And after 5 days in the wilderness, on the last night of a trip, I would salivate as I fantasized about hiking out and going to the Noonmark cafe in the morning.

And the Noonmark would never fail to meet my expectations when I got out of the woods.

On the eve of round number six, I look at it as the dawn of my last day in the woods. I still have to pack up camp, strap on my pack, and make the long hike out of the woods, but I am eager with child-like anticipation as I know that on the other side the Noonmark cafe, and my plate of fries smothered in gravy, awaits.

-Sam

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have the fighting spirit, my friend. It's something I have always admired about you.
Here's to finishing your journey.
Cheers,
Scott

Unknown said...

Sam, as you are coming to the end of your journey your Grandfather and I will be with you in our thoughts and prayers.We can't go with you physically as we did for so many years going up and down hills searching for agates in Lake Superior country. And we certainly
enjoyed a little cafe we found in Castle Danger. It was just a small little resturant when we first started our treks but as the years went on it turned into a much larger resaturant. Not so Quaint anymore but the pies were still the BEST pies in the world. We love
you. Put on your running shoes, you will soon be there. G.G.

Dennis said...

Two from Henry V to set your self for Round 6.

Once more into the breach, dear friends, once more. Henry V, 3.1

and, the first lines of my favorite bit in all of Shakespeare..

He which hath no stomach to this fight, let him depart. His passport shall be made and crowns for convoy put in his purse. Henry V, 4.3

Take to the fields, Sam, take it on!

Dennis

Sam's Mum said...

Give it hell, Sam. 57 more days!!

jesseray said...

That Cafe sounds awesome. It reminds me of the one time when we went to a buffet show at Alpine Valley and hit up the Iron Skillet on the way home. Difference being, I doubt we deserved the greasy, trucker food.

I'm applying to graduate schools now and I just visited the University of Virginia. Charlottesville is a tiny college town nestled about 45 minutes from the Blue Ridge mountains. If I go there you'll have to come hiking or skiing with me (though I haven't gone skiing since I was on the team in high school with long hair).

Glad to hear you're doing well! Keep on keeping on buddy.

Mavis W. said...

I only learned of your "adventure" about six months ago and you've been in my thoughts and prayers ever since! What a great attitude and such strength! YOUR WRITINGS ARE REMARKABLE, Sam. It's pretty amazing how YOU are the strength for your friends and family! Hang tough tomorrow....and I can't wait to hear all good news from here on in. Yes, life can be a battle. Just remember: you're going to WIN THIS BATTLE at your YOUNG age.....from here on in, you'll meet all other challenges with a smile and determination, and KNOW you'll always be a winner! God takes care of his own......just think of this as the greatest "test" you've ever passed....with flying colors! You're in my thoughts and prayers, Sam. As I always do with my grandbabies: ((((WI HUGS)))) Mavis

Stuart said...

Sam! Amazing. You are headed towards home plate. There is such a psychological lift when you're able to check specific drugs off the list for good!!!

I am so happy for you and your 'support' team.

Creation is so beautiful. Ever ask yourself why we find it so beautiful? No real practical reason for us to be partial to a the colors of a sunset or a glistening mountain stream, but we are all stirred in a similar way by them.

To me, it does nothing short of point us to God and his power, love for us, and him as the author of this thing we call 'beauty'!

Hang strong, my brother!!!

salmo said...

Sam, Just back from a few nights in the Porkies... wind, rain, sleet and snow. But in the morning a clear sky over dark water. We enjoyed the comfort of a cabin and the warmth of a fire .. the park is so humbling in it's beauty.

my thoughts are with you... go get 'em!

Sal

Schmidty said...

you've reached the home stretch. go, sam, go

sound your barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.

Schmidty