Saturday, December 13, 2008

Blast # 4 and a Christmas Request for my Readers


Blast # 4 came on Thursday and I feel great. While many of the more cumulative effects of the chemo are setting in - I'm losing feeling in my fingers and toes, falling on a regular basis, and looking like Mr. Clean more by the day as the Prednisone makes my cheeks swell up - I still get a strangely satisfying feeling going in each week and having a nurse pump me full of the good stuff to kill some more lymphoblasts.

As my friend Karsten so aptly branded it in a note this week as I waited in the Chemo room, I follow the "scorched earth philosophy on chemo":

"Oh, you like my house? You like my field? How do you like them on fire???"

As Christmas approaches, and I explain how great I feel, I cannot help but reflect upon how lucky and fortunate I am as I go through this journey. Compared to others, my body has responded remarkably well to the first slate of chemo drugs. I'm still around, kicking, causing trouble at work and elsewhere and having a good time when many others end up in a hospital bed for months.

I'm surrounded by an amazing support structure of friends, family, coworkers, physicians and strangers who take care of me when I need it, and do so with unbelievable grace and kindness. All of your support warms my spirit and I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of the kind words, not to mention you taking time to follow my journey.

On that note, I keep hearing of people reading my blog who a.) aren't yet followers or b.) are uncomfortable commenting. Please become a follower if you're not already and never hesitate to comment about anything, even if you don't know me (just comment on a post if you want or I'd love to answer any questions that any of you have about cancer, A.L.L, or treatment. Equally welcomed are personal stories, stories of a friend, or even ask me about fixing a bike or finding the best brewpub to take a date in Madison if you want...) Bottom line - if you've got something on your mind... share it.

While I am extraordinarily fortunate to have responded so well to treatment thus far, and to have such an amazing support structure, every week when I go in for labs, appointments, tests and chemo, I see and meet amazing people who are not so fortunate.

In rough shape they travel long distances from family and home to get the care that they need. While my doctors are cautiously optimistic that I can be cured through chemo alone, many at the clinic with Leukemia are preparing for bone marrow transplants -- A dangerous, painful, and unfathomably terrifying procedure that takes months if not years to recover from.

In an effort to make the lives of transplant patients more comfortable, compassionate doctors in Madison are raising money to renovate a comfortable home for patients and caregivers recovering from transplants, so that they get the care the need in a comfortable setting and need not spend months in sterile hospitals.

"The Restoring Hope Transplant House" needs renovations to open and provide such comfort to transplant patients and their families.

Nothing will make me happier this Christmas than if we do a small part to make the world more comfortable for the people I see at the clinic every week who are less fortunate than I, and for the people who will go through this 5 or 10 years from today.

This morning I donated $20.13 to the Transplant House (If all goes according to plan I will be completely done with treatment in 2013). If you can afford to, please consider joining me in donating to the Restoring Hope Transplant House, whether its $5, $20.13 or a $100, it would brighten my spirits this holiday season.

You can read about the transplant house at this link:

http://www.restoringhope.org/

and Donate online here:

http://www.restoringhope.org/support/donations.php

(neoludites can find an address to send a check here also)

Then, after you do, shed the midwest modesty, take some credit, and proudly comment "I donated" on this blog post -- philanthropy is one of the few contagious activities my immune system can tolerate.

Finally, if you donate, please consider emailing me to let me know how much you contributed. My email is bikeryder@gmail.com. I won't judge the amount or disclose any of the information, I'd just like to track a grand total.

Together, this holiday season, let's do a small part to make the Restoring Hope Transplant House a reality to bring hope and comfort to those who need it most. I look forward to the day years down the road when I can bike to the house, visit with the patients and give them another story of hope.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,

Sam

11 comments:

pauly said...

That is one sexy picture greeting readers.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sam,
I'm gratified to hear that you are tolerating your treatment so well. I do get reports from your father, and he consistently tells me how well you are doing. Considering I have gone through many of these treatments myself, I have a special understanding of what you are going through--both the treatments and their "wonderful" side affects. Knowing your family history, and you of course, it doesn't surprise me in the least that you are doing so wonderfully physically and mentally. Myself, Robin, Rachel and Spencer all wish you all the best and will continue to follow your progress through your blog and your parents. I look forward to having a long conversation on a fishing boat this summer about our shared experiences. All the best, Jon Caldwell

Susan said...

We donated - Merry Christmas, Sam! Love, Susan, et al

barnieb said...

Sam, this is a great idea to let us know about an opportunity to help. Linda and I donated.

kim823marie said...

Hi Sam, it was wonderful to hear your voice the other day. You are and continue to be such an amazing young man and an inspiration.

For your Christmas present this year, I will donation $20.13 in your name and #20.13 in your grandparents name.

Merry Christmas and keep kicking cancer's butt.

jesseray said...

Sam, If clean Wisconsin loses its luster, you could be a UW Telefund Star. Or you could always move to Rhinelander and volunteer during the WXPR pledge drives. You're a natural. I'll be scoping out the charity to donate this week. Also, I second Paul's comment. I like your pose. On second though, screw WXPR: Milan and the runway have your name all over them.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link to this opportunity to help, Sam.
I totally love your photos. Keep them coming, please.
A trailer I saw today for a crappy movie called "Escape from Alaska" made me think of you and that quality film, "Ice Spiders." :)

Take good care Sam,
Julie

Annie Gore said...

Awesome philanthropy. I am proud to be a part of such a worthy cause. Donation made today!

Sam's Mum said...

Donation sent out today in your honor.

Indiethedog said...

Sam,
$20.12 donated because you kick ass.
Er, that doesn't make sense really...

Anonymous said...

Ok, so it's a little late for Christmas...but donation sent today!