Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Swells Just Got Bigger...

This one will be hard...

I got a call with bad news this morning...

My doctor jumped the gun. The final pathology report shows that I still have 1% Leukemia blasts in my marrow. On my protocol 1% and above is considered minimal residual disease (MRD) Positive, .9% and below is considered MRD negative. Because I'm MRD positive, it puts me in a less optimistic prognostic category and lengthens my treatment schedule. I won't get to move on to the next stage of treatment yet, but continue on induction for two more weeks to try to reduce MRD. At that point we'll do another bone marrow biopsy and if it shows less than 1% leukemia at that time I'll move onto the next stage of treatment as a slow early responder.

I saw a pediatric oncologist this afternoon who truthfully beat around the bush about what this means prognostically, but made me feel a little better.

I'm still sorting through this and will update later.

3 comments:

Sam's Mum said...

You stay strong. Just another bump on the road to a cure!!!

bacca said...

I can't imagine how hard this was for you to accept, but it still sounds like you are ahead of those nasty cancer cells. With your positive attitude you will get through this journey. You will ride thru this storm and after the rough and scary ride you will land in your calm harbor.
Love you so much!!!

Grandpa and Grandma G.

BeckyM said...

Hang in there Sam. Im here supporting you from a far. Love you.