Friday, November 28, 2008

A Belated Thanksgiving Post

"He is a wise man who does not grieve the for the things he has not, but rejoices for those which he has." -Epictetus (Greek Philosopher).

Well, yesterday was Thanksgiving, and upon reflection I am overwhelmed this year by all that I have to be thankful for.

In 1964, someone diagnosed with my A.L.L. had less than a 3 percent chance of surviving five years. Today, thanks to the endless work of scientists and medical professionals, 70-80% of people diagnosed with the disease are cured of it. Today I am thankful for the years of work that gives me hope I will die a crusty old man.

Today I am most thankful for the amazing support structure that surrounds me. While doctors have dramatically increased the cure rate for A.L.L., the treatment protocol is long and rough (3 1/2 years). My family, friends, coworkers, and even strangers have come to help me through this hard time without complaint. Words cannot describe my appreciation to those who reach out a hand of support or send me well wishes.

I feed off of the support of others; it puts a wind at my back. I rarely like to ask others for favors, but, alas, I'm getting better at it and will occasionally on this blog. So, today's request: If you're reading this blog, become a follower (click on the upper right hand "follow this blog" link). Also, if you're already following, please post a photo of yourself on the profile. Seeing your smiling faces looking back at me when I log in always brightens my day. If you do, I'll be forever thankful.

A quick health update: blast #2 came on Wednesday and I'm starting to feel it a bit more. Writing and reading are getting a bit more challenging and they will get harder over the next few weeks as my blood counts drop (that's why the Thanksgiving posting is coming a day late...) While I'm finding the chemo is physically debilitating, I'm optimistic and in good spirits. I will beat this.

Hope you all had a terrific Thanksgiving and enjoy the long weekend,

Sam

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam,

You say writing "is getting a bit more challenging"...? Well you can still revel in the fact that you are more eloquent than me(and probably a lot of people!) You even punctuate with precision. You must have had a journalism class or two! :) Hang in there & Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Dani

P.S. According to Microsoft Word: Synonyms for "revel" =

drink
get drunk
raise the roof
go on the town
party
paint the town red

Did I use that word correctly? What the heck is "paint the town red"? I guess Madison is 'reveling' in itself.

Dennis said...

Deep into my chemo, hair almost gone, fatigue everywhere, I went to Kohl's to buy some crap. The clerk looked at me harder than usual and gave me the Seniors Discount! Blessings show up in weird places Sam. I laughed and smiled the rest of that day. I only regret I didn't go back in and buy something expensive.

Dennis

bacca said...

Oh Sam you just amaze me. I finally can add a coment with Aunt Lin's help.

bacca said...

Now that I know how to do this complicated stuff(and don't look at all the wrong spelling my writing goes faster than my fingers.)I'll finish my comment.
You are such a wise man and surely must have learned from Epictetus.I say "Swing hard, in case they throw
the ball where you're swinging."
-Duke Snider(no one I know)
I'm hoping for you many more good days than bad days. We think of you always. Now as soon as I find out how to put my photo on this thing I will. LOVE

Indiethedog said...

Right, now that I've sorted through all this registration palaver, the dog, through me, can wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. He (we) enjoyed seeing you this week and are looking forward to being back at Christmas.
Be strong, drink lots of protein shakes and do not, on any account, allow either sister to make you watch Ballykissangel.
Andrew & Indie