Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Good First Day

I have a lot to comment on over the past two weeks, but first i must let everyone know how i'm doing (I'll probably be playing catch up for a couple of weeks...). Today I began treatment and it was a full day, but overall not nearly as difficult as i anticipated.

The day began by checking into UW Hospital and finding my hospital room. I then had a central line placed, an catheter-like IV that begins on my bicep, runs up a vein to just outside my heart. This will allow the doctors and nurses to administer Chemo and take blood samples without continually poking me or damaging a vein. While I expected this procedure to be painful, it was far from it -- really, I hardly felt a thing.

I then had an echocardiogram test and am happy to report that my heart seems to be working as it's supposed to.

From here, my day got a bit more interesting as the doctors sedated me to perform a bone marrow biopsy, a rather painful procedure where a needle is placed through your hipbone (from your back) to suck out some bone marrow. I cannot remember the procedure, but can vaguely recall calling some friends as the sedation wore off. These were undoubtedly some of the funniest calls people have ever recieved. At one point while trying to call my friend Jesse, I forgot what I was doing. Our conversation started something like this:

Jesse: Hello
Sam: Who the hell is this?
Jesse: What? Who is this?...

You can imagine the confusion for a few minutes (I know this only because I called Jesse back this evening to find out what I had said...

Finally, this evening I recieved a lumbar puncture (known alliases include "spinal tap" or "LP"). This was a suprisingly easy procedure where they took a bit of my spinal fluid out and replaced it with some chemo. All went well, only I seem to have a bit of a headache now, likely resulting from a lack of spinal fluid.

All in all a pretty full day, however I feel suprisingly well. Tomorrow I'm slated to get blasted with chemo, and i look forward to killing some cancer cells.

Thanks for all of the calls, emails, and letters. Your support is really helping me through this. I apologize that I havn't responded to all of them, but its a challenge keeping up.

Till next time and take care,

Sam

12 comments:

Lil' Katie said...

You did great today! And remember this is one of the days you were most worried about. Now that we know what we're dealing with we can take it all in stride. I look forward to seeing you again tomorrow. Goodnight till then.

Pam said...

Hi Sam,
Just want you to know I'm thinking of you and keeping you in my thoughts! Katie does a great job of keeping Angela and I informed.
This blog is a wonderful idea, I'll be following along on your journey.
Take care!
Pam

salmo said...

Sam,

Thinking of you. Thanks for the blog... we'll be following your journey. Sally Mode

Kate said...

I'm glad to see you started writing from your four-star hotel suite with the grand view of downtown and the lake. Take full advantage of the room service! We'll see you in a while.
sincerely,
kate

BeckyM said...

Im thinking about you and praying for you. You seem to have a great support network, that's what it takes to come through on top.
Love
Becky

Schmidty said...

Sam: Hope you have a private room...

NURSE: Hi, Denise. Six-thirty, time for your sponge bath.

(The shadow of a patient awakening can be seen)

DENISE: Mmm.. is it six-thirty already? I fell asleep.

(The two women go about preparing the sponge bath. George is visibly affected - breathing heavily, and staring at them through the curtain)

SHELLY: (Seems not to notice what's going on beyond the divider) So, George, what are you doing now? I hear you got some kinda television, writing - thing?

GEORGE: (Slowly backing away, he's not at all committed to the conversation) Yeah.. television.

(The patient, Denise, is trying to get her gown off)

NURSE: Let me help you out with that. Here, just slip it over your head..

DENISE: Oh.. thank you.

SHELLY: (Nodding) Well, it's about time. We thought you were gonna wind up on the street. (As the bath is going on, George is now completely mesmerized)

What is it you're doing, exactly?

(A moment passes. George seems not to have heard his cousin)

ESTELLE: George, you're cousin, Shelly, is talking to you!

(Scene ends)

I'll be reading this blog everyday. Can't wait to visit next week.

Godspeed buddy,
Adam

jesseray said...

Well Sam,
aside from initially thinking you were an obnoxious telemarketer or Nigerian Triangle schemer, it was great to hear from you! Time to kick the cancer in the balls one day at a time. Can't wait to see you in December.

Also, if you get bored you can read Paul and my subversive commie blog.

Carrin said...

Hi Sam,

I've been thinking about you every day since I heard this from Sarah. So glad to hear the first day went well. You are part of such an amazingly strong family, and because of this I know you have countless great days ahead of you!!

My family and I wish you the best. Please know you are in our thoughts.

Carrin :)

karsten olson said...

Yeah. You didn't respond to me. Watch your back Weis.

Actually you probably should from the sound of it, someone is probably approaching with a needle.

Mediocre Tim

Alex D. said...

Ahoy Sam,
It's good to see there is a place we'll be able to keep up with your progress. I was lazy yesterday and didn't come into the office, (took a 4 hour nap instead, whoops.) but I did today. More media clippings weeeee! On a side note, Outlook put your e-mail in the quarantine folder. I giggled. Hopefully you're feeling pretty damn decent, since David seemed particularly chipper around the office in your absence. You have to get better so you can torment him. Later, Sam!

Brian said...

Hey Sammy,
It was great seeing you today! I'm in the midst of cooking for my house tonight, reading your blog and the comments in between stirs of the sauce. I'm making some weird concoction of a creamy pasta sauce and I just remembered the first time I tried making alfredo was with you for our first high school dance! We were so suave :) But I don't think this one is going to turn out as well. Wish you could be here helping me out.
See you soon... maybe tomorrow

Anonymous said...

Jacques said a prayer at breakfast for his "best buddy Sam". Thinking of you today. Love your sense of humor through all of this.